The lj struthers heritage indigo project is an exploration of this wonder of nature and the rich cultural history around it. The cultivation of Indigofera in its many species, the fermentation of the leaves, the alchemy of oxidation as it saturates natural fibres- these processes span millennia, and the shades of blue produced, from green to purple-tinged, have bewitched many a maker.
Our very special lj struthers garments have been painstakingly pieced from antique and vintage plant dyed textiles, hand-sourced in person across India and Japan. Secreted away in our fabric archive, these indigo cottons are now reinvented in original designs, cut and sewn right here in our studio. Every patch embodies a history of use and reuse, beauty and function. Every item is unique. Yours is the only one…
Our signature lunar smock is a daily layering favourite with a banded boat neck, wide cuffs and relaxed, straight-sided volume. On cold days, loose short sleeves are perfect for showing off a contrasting merino top, oxford shirt or arm warmers, while the lunar smock also works hard as a heavier weight tee. A crescent yoke with subtle centre gather creates a full, swing-style profile at the reverse, pairing perfectly with the lj struthers archer, cambridge or curator pants.
designed and made in Hobartcolour : ink
fabric : light weight cotton
- length 72cm
- sleeve including cuff 52cm
- This piece is made from vintage indigo fabric, small imperfections and some minor variations in colour are part of its heritage- please refer to the photographs for detail.
- Hand wash in cold water separately to avoid dye transfer, avoiding use of stain removers or spot cleaning.
- Natural indigo dye may sometimes transfer colour to lighter fabrics.
- Iron on reverse of garment.