The lj struthers heritage indigo project is an exploration of this wonder of nature and the rich cultural history around it. The cultivation of Indigofera in its many species, the fermentation of the leaves, the alchemy of oxidation as it saturates natural fibres- these processes span millennia, and the shades of blue produced, from green to purple-tinged, have bewitched many a maker.
Our very special lj struthers garments have been painstakingly pieced from antique and vintage plant dyed textiles, hand-sourced in person across India and Japan. Secreted away in our fabric archive, these indigo cottons are now reinvented in original designs, cut and sewn right here in our studio. Every patch embodies a history of use and reuse, beauty and function. Every item is unique. Yours is the only one…
The gallery coat is a long line piece with a simple, unstructured opening and two side inseam pockets. Its subtle cocoon shape is created by box pleats in the deep hem, and cropped, cuffed sleeves keep the silhouette unrestrictive and dynamic. With its open, buttonless lines, this is an elegant outer shell for your beautifully composed layers, adding polish without formality.
designed and made in Hobartcolour : indigo and ink
pattern : small vertical embroidery lines
fabric : light to midweight cotton kantha
- length 98cm
- sleeve including cuff 50cm
care instructions :
- This piece is made from vintage indigo fabric, small imperfections and some minor variations in colour are part of its heritage- please refer to the photographs for detail.
- Hand wash in cold water separately to avoid dye transfer, avoiding use of stain removers or spot cleaning.
- Natural indigo dye may sometimes transfer colour to lighter fabrics.
- Iron on reverse of garment.